I wanted to make the page numbers for the book rather interesting as little aspects like this can really add to the depth of the books design. I based the design of the page numbers on the ‘mario mushroom’ which I traced and used different colours, then inserted page numbers into them. They really go with the overall theme of the book.
These are all of the images that were used within my animation. the majority of them were transformed within adobe illustrator using the ‘image trace’ function to get a more animated feel to them, using less colours. some of the images used were to create the 3D book at the start of the animation, such as the paper for the edges, the worn paper graphic (which is used throughout the entire animation too) and the front cover graphic made in photoshop.
For the book that was made it was good to use a grid to align text and graphics on the page. this allows a much more aesthetically pleasing page as the objects on each page have more of a purpose than if it were not to be aligned using a grid.
Although the animation is 1 minute 30 seconds long which is 30 seconds longer than the 1 minute suggested time, I think that I have done quite a successful job.
I am extremely pleased with how the book at the start of the animation has been animated in 3D, I had to use ray-traced 3D within After Effects (which took its toll on my computer requiring such large processing) and had to orient different image files to create the book itself. the position of the 3D elements are not 100% perfect, but if I were going to repeat the project I would spend more time on orienting these object to create a more accurate book. I would possibly also have liked to create a ‘page flick’ effect where the book opens and the pages flick to the desired section.
I didn’t use the camera tool that much during the animation either, and it would have been nice if I made more use of this so that it would create a more effective and interactive animation.
on the official music video for the track ‘thou shalt always kill’, there was quite a good chalk effect where scroobius is pointing to a chalkboard and text/illustrations were animating onto it. I was going to create a subtle texture on top of the text in the animation to imitate that effect, but I decided against it as I wanted the text to be clear and crisp so that it will be easier to read. Initially I stated that I was going to use a simple sans-serif typeface for the animation, although I found the ‘homestead’ font which was used within the majority of the animation and I thought that it created a successful feel to the animation. I overlayed the texture too to create a simple effect to the text.
Three different design ideas for the if Campaign brief visual message. two fonts used; capture it and steamer. we have chosen to use the capture it font because it is much simpler and easier to read. The steamer font is also too militarised and we do not want to portray that type of message to the viewer. We are going to print out stencils and put it on a wall on Viking Bay in Broadstairs.